Search Eat Fantastic Blog & Posts

Monday, April 4, 2011

Eli's Original Cheesecake on day 2 of 30

My second day of cheesecake and it was all I could do to wait until today, actually 12:01 AM, to eat my slice of Eli's Original Cheesecake. In my haste to enjoy it, I did not get a chance to put it on a proper plate. I ate it directly out of the package in the dark. I did use a fork, and I feel good about that.

It is really hard to be original here, since so much has been written about this particular cheesecake. Eli's has been the #1 dessert since the very first Taste of Chicago in 1980, and there is a reason for that, it's delicious, rich, creamy cheesecake perfection. Perfect amount of cookie crust to make it a perfection on a plate. Sorry Oprah, I think those are your words but I really don't know how else to describe it.

What I like best about it is the size, which is perfect for someone who cares about exactly what they eat. Because I had a 280 calorie snack at midnight, I adjusted my breakfast a bit and maybe I will skip lunch.

What I was most interested in was if it tasted the same as when I first tried it in while still in high school, and then again when I worked at Eli's, The Place for Steak. Sometimes it's challenging to build a national brand from a single product and maintain the integrity of the original. I have a very good memory, and like most people, food memories have an emotional connection when you remember the first bite, and the circumstances.

For me, the only thing that was missing was being in the Galter Carriage House, and seeing Bea, Paul, Tom, Gus, Willie, Fred, Mrs. Schulman and the rest of the people that made that restaurant a very special place to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment